CREATIVE DIRECTOR / SENIOR DESIGNER
Design leader with more than ten years of experience driving companies forward through creation of inspirational brands and products. Diverse portfolio including automotive, electronics, soft goods, sporting goods, outdoor equipment, home goods as well as UX and graphic design. Experience inside corporate environments (small and large) as well as contracting work for startups and consultancies.
• Art Center College of Design - Graduate Industrial Design Management - 2007
• Savannah College of Art and Design - Graduate Product Design - 2003
• The University of The South - Undergraduate Liberal Arts - 2001
• Oxford University, St. Johns College - Undergraduate Liberal Arts - 2000
• Senior Industrial Designer - Travel Plus International - 2013 to present
Senior designer overseeing medium-sized design department inside company specializing in performance outdoor and travel products. Clients include Target, Amazon, E-bags, Academy Sports, Dicks Sporting Goods, as well as several celebrity brands. Product specialities range from coolers to backpacks and everything in between. Our team of 5 talented designers, has grown the company from $0 to $26.2 M over the past 5 years.
• Industrial Designer II - Ful - 2010 to 2013
Mid-level industrial designer focused on developing product in the ‘soft goods’ category. Ful was a brand, initially owned by Justin Timberlake, inspired by fashion and music. Our design team grew Ful from a small startup to a mid sized company with 30+ employees within the span of only 5 years. While working at Ful, we were selling product at Target, E-bags, Costco, Academy Sports, and Dicks Sporting goods. Shortly after I left the company, Ful was sold to a firm in New York for $13.5M.
• Director of Sustainability - The University of The South - 2009 to 2011
Director-level position focused on creatively shifting the university’s focus towards “sustainability”. To do this, I led a team of 30+ employees and volunteers in a re-branding and marketing push which ultimately sparked dozens of new programs across campus. Specific initiatives included a new website, a short film series, an updated recycling program, an eco-auto project, numerous efficiency contests, as well as changes to the university’s master plan. Sewanee has since received national recognition as one of the US’s “greenest” and most beautiful campus’ in The United States.
• Industrial Designer - American Expedition Vehicles - 2007 to 2009
Entry-level industrial designer focused on growing business for an automotive aftermarket company focused on the Jeep brand. In this role, I leveraged my experiences in design leadership as well as my talents in design / engineering to grow the company. Specific projects ranged from 3D CAD development to giving presentations at trade shows. AEV is now considered the undisputed leader of automotive aftermarket accessories for Jeep vehicles. Several of the products I designed, at that time, continue to be top sellers for the company.
• Best Seller - Target BTS Backpacks - Bondka Jumpstreet - Target backpacks 2017
• Design Patent Pending - Unique personal cold-retention device - 2017
• Design Patent - Cooler Extras - Premium Cooler Light - 2016
• Design Patent - GoLock - Bike / Gear alarm system - 2016
• Design / Utility Patent - Sol Tramper - collapsable travel trailer - 2013
• Best Seller - Target BTS Backpacks Ful - Marsupial Backpack - 2012
• Show Favorite - SEMA Show Las Vegas - WARN - Brute concept truck - 2011
• Best New Product - SEMA Show Las Vegas - AEV ProCal vehicle programmer - 2009
• First Place - Art Center College of Design - RC Car design competition - 2007
• Show Favorite - St. Patricks Day Parade - 1959 Cadillac - 2006
• Best of Show - Broadmoor Hotel - 1959 Cadillac - 2005
• Second Place - SCAD Design Competition - Motorola Emergency Response System - 2003
• Order of Gownsman (academic honor society) - The University of the South - 2000
• Community Service Leadership Award University of the South - 1999
“Occasionally an individual comes along who brings so many special skills to the table that there truly is no limit to the roles he or she can assume within a company. Rocco is one such person and this was evident to me as he quickly began making significant contributions to my most important responsibilities. Rocco proved himself to be a powerful writer, a creative designer, an insightful strategist and at home with people from all walks of life. This made him a rare find in my experience and to this day I miss his contributions to my team.”
Chris Wood - Director of Sales and Marketing: American Expedition Vehicles
• phone: 512-574-4791
“Good design keeps the user happy, the manufacturer in the black, and the aesthete un-offended.”
Download a PDF version of this resume here.